Hundreds of injury-causing car accidents occur in California every single day. They happen due to all kinds of honest but severe driving mistakes, outright negligent behavior on the roads, and adverse conditions.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents hurt thousands of people every year. Some of the injuries are easy to recover from while others are life-threatening. A car accident lawyer with significant experience, like BRUNO |NALU, has represented clients with many types of car accident injuries, including:
- Back Injuries: This is the most common injury from the rear-end collision. Injury to all parts of the spine are likely due to the vulnerable position that the driver was in when they were hit. Imagine being blindsided by a 250 LB professional linebacker while you are standing in the supermarket. Now multiply that by 100. Unfortunately, terrible injures to the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine can result, depending upon the severity of the impact and the condition of the impacted driver. Back injuries that can result from the impact of a car crash can be as serious as a fracture, disc injury and lumbar spine injury. At BRUNO|NALU, we believe that conservative treatment is the best option and dramatic and expensive medical fixes should only be employed as a last resort. The doctors that we work with are selected for their excellence in their field and their willingness to apply conservative and inexpensive treatments FIRST in order to offer the body to heal, naturally, with medical intervention as a last result. Consistent care and honest treatments are the only way to heal a back injury.
- Head Injuries: A car accident can result in several types of traumatic brain injuries, including concussions. A concussion occurs when the head receives trauma from impact or a sudden movement. There can be two types of head injury that need to be understood and diagnosed: those injures to the head and those injuries to the brain. Skull fractures, bleeding, and swelling are injuries to the head, but are also strong indicators that something may have happened to the brain, which is a far more serious matter. A “minor concussion” could take a few weeks to heal, but a severe head injury might take a few years to heal — if it heals at all. Remember, the brain is the one part of the body that cannot regenerate cells. Once you have damaged the cells at a nuclear level, the damage is forever. Many accident victims with severe traumatic brain injuries find that they are left with permanent damage. In these cases, compensation must account for that permanent loss.
- Whiplash: Whiplash or “coup-countercoup injury” is caused by sudden movement of the head and neck and it can lead to severe damage in the neck and shoulders. A person with whiplash may experience pain and stiffness in the neck, dizziness, headaches and nerve injury. This is a serious injury that typically does not heal without medical intervention.
- Chest Injuries: Blunt force from a car accident can also lead to chest injuries. If a person slams his or her chest up against the steering wheel or another object during a collision, he or she may have pain or discomfort—this can be anything from bruising, to broken ribs, to internal bleeding. Ignoring the pain caused by someone else’s negligence is never wise. The lawyers at BRUNO |NALU have access to the best doctors to evaluate and treat the injured client.
- Leg Injuries: Car accident victims often suffer leg injuries, such as broken bones, and torn ligaments or meniscus while bracing for impact during motor vehicle crashes. These injuries usually occur when a person’s legs get smashed against the sides of the car, or there is a sudden movement slamming on the brakes or gas pedal. They’re not life-threatening, but leg injuries can be very painful and require long recovery times. They can easily put someone out of work or unable to perform family duties. This should not be the fault of the faultless motorist, but the responsibility of the insurance company that insures the negligent driver.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit?
This is actually a complex question that requires individual consultation. For example, the general statute of limitations for a personal injury action is two years. However, if you a government entity is a defendant, you must file a notice of claim much sooner. If you are suing the federal government, you have additional significant notice requirements. If you are suing a Native American Lands defendant, there are even different requirements. And sometimes it is not obvious who you are suing. Suppose an active duty sailor rents a car at the direction of the United States Navy, and while traveling between bases, hits a civilian. You may not know that the Navy is responsible, despite the fact that the guy was driving a Toyota as opposed to a military vehicle. But your notice requirements are as though you are suing the United States Government. This is but one illustration of why “how long do I have to file?” is a very complex issue that cannot be understood by simply visiting a website. The answer to this question will always require an attorney consultation, and at BRUNO|NALU we are happy to provide that for you. Because it is so critically important to determine the time and appropriate means for responding, a consultation can help you and save a lost case. For this reason, it is important to consult with a car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What Damages Can I Claim?
If you are filing a car accident lawsuit, there are several types of damages you may be entitled to, including:
- Lost wages
- Lost economic opportunity
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of household services
- Past and future medical bills
- Vehicle damage
- Pain and suffering
The more serious the injuries, the more valuable and complicated the case. However, this also gives the insurers and opposing counsel reason to push back, deny or delay valid claims and refuse to offer even remotely fair settlements. For victims and their families, this creates excruciating hardship. Hiring the right law firm to get you full compensation for your injuries is crucial.
If you were hurt in a car accident, we may be able to help you recover the compensation you deserve. At BRUNO | NALU, we know how intimidating it can be to face the justice system on your own and want to make the process as easy as possible for you. We are here to help you build a strong case and represent your best interests.