Suffering from a trucking accident can have a lasting impact on your physical and emotional health. More than likely, you have suffered from injuries that will make daily life more challenging, at least for awhile. A personal injury attorney may be the solution to the financial hardship that you have experienced as a result. With their help, they can navigate you through what is sure to be a complex legal proceeding.
Why are Trucking Accidents More Complex?
A trucking accident can have far more layers than a standard motor vehicle accident. This is because if the trucker who hit you works for a trucking company, you may be suing both the truck and the company he/she works for. Another challenge may be the regulations a trucker may have broken making them negligent for the accident. The following are factors in accidents involving commercial trucks:
- Cars driving in areas surrounding the truck where the trucker has little to no visibility
- Changing lanes or merging unsafely in front of a truck without allowing for the appropriate amount of space
- Truck is driving too fast
- The trucker is not adequately trained to drive a large truck
- The truck is not mechanically sound
- Fatigued truck driver who has been driving for too long
- When a truck must stop suddenly and doesn’t have sufficient enough space to do so without hitting the car in front of them.
- Poor road conditions that could cause the truck to jackknife or slide
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Working with insurance companies can be a challenge in any type of accident. The situation can become far more complicated when it comes to a trucking accident. This is because there may be multiple insurance companies involved. A trucker and the trucking company may carry their own individual policies. In addition to this, companies other than the driver may own the coverage for the truck and cargo or the trucking company, which could further complicate the situation. The services of an attorney can help to sort through who a personal injury claim should be filed against. In some situations, there may be more than one person or entity that you will be suing.
If the trucker and/or company is found negligent for the accident, you will be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have experienced. There are a number of damages that may be collected as a result including:
- Lost Wages
- Future Wages
- Medical Expenses
- Pain and Suffering
- Additional Expenses: if you needed to retrofit your home or require additional in home aid or care as the result of your injuries
If you have been injured in an accident involving a commercial vehicle, you may be entitled to receive compensation for the pain you have suffered. Working with truck accident lawyer Salt Lake City UT citizens respect who is experienced in personal injury claims will prove to be helpful when it comes to managing the legal process, protecting your interests and negotiating with insurance companies.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Rasmussen & Miner for their insight into trucking accidents.